Child support & enforcement

Child support

The amount of child support that is awarded is determined by the Oregon Department of Justice and spelled out in support guidelines.

First, let’s make sure you accurately report both income and expenses.  If you over-report and fail to identify expenses related to medical needs etc., you may find yourself unable to make the monthly payments.  Failure to make timely payments will result in enforcement against you including garnishment of wages, loss of business license or even court-ordered jail time.

Secondly, let’s make sure the court has full information concerning your finances.  Sometimes courts over-estimate a family’s resources.  It is not uncommon for income to decline when going through an emotional divorce.  My goal is to determine a fair child support award that is collectable.

You may be ordered to pay support even if you do not have visitation rights.  If you are the custodial parent and waived support, you must still allow the other parent visitation time spelled out in the Parenting Plan.

Delinquent support

When the State of Oregon issues a Child Support Order against a parent, payment is due in full each month or that person may face criminal non-support charges filed by the District Attorney.  Support obligations cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

A request for support can be made any time before the child’s 18th birthday.

Enforcement of support orders

If you are not receiving the child support that was ordered by the court, contact the Lane County District Attorney’s office to initiate enforcement.  They can garnish wages or file a contempt motion to force payment.  If you feel the terms of the award should be changed, I can assist you with that.