How state and federal governments view your marriage or domestic partnership can significantly affect:
- access to government services
- health care choices and hospital visitation
- parental rights
- public assistance and educational grants
- military definitions of family.
Separation, dissolution or divorce for people who have cohabitated as committed couples may also affect:
- spousal and child support awards
- child visitation and parenting time
- division of real property and investments
- federal taxation.